Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Doomsday Expedition - Part 1

by Kim Cobb

Every once in a while, the universe reminds you that you are small. Very small.

Several weeks ago, my students and I set out on what was supposed to be a 7-day expedition to Christmas Island, a remote island in the central equatorial Pacific, to document the effects of the current El Niño event on the coral reef there. We could not have known that we would face major ordeal after major ordeal, all while confronting a mass mortality event of staggering proportions on the island’s pristine coral reefs.

The mission’s goals were simple enough:  to revisit sites that we’ve been monitoring for the last two years, service temperature and salinity logging devices, and drill some coral cores that span the bulk of the 2015/2016 El Niño event.

We joined a team from Julia Baum’s lab, who had been diving intensively for two weeks prior to our arrival, taking detailed photographs of the reef and collecting tissue samples from any survivors. The goal of their work is to decipher the recipe for coral resilience to extreme temperature stress, in order to aid the reefs of tomorrow weather future such extremes.

We landed to grim reports of extensive coral mortality, confirming our worst fears that the 9 months of continuous ocean warming associated with the largest El Niño event in history had taken their toll. Of the sites affected by the current global bleaching event, Christmas has been in the grip of extreme temperature stress for the most time, by a long shot.

My first dive was shocking. Above water it looked like the same island I’d been visiting for 18 years. But underwater it was a wasteland. As I descended to depth that day, my eyes would see things that my heart and mind couldn’t yet process.

Algae-coated dead coral on my first dive of the expedition, to 30ft on Christmas Island's south reef, April 2, 2016. In this entire view, there is only one small coral still alive - a half bleached/half dead Porites colony in the lower left. Credit:  Kim Cobb.
The reef was almost completely dead, with all but a few of the hardiest Porites colonies – mostly the smallest size class – coated in red/brown algae. These corals had lost their valiant battle against the elevated ocean temperatures months ago, most likely. I busied myself with the task at hand, retrieving a Conductivity-Temperature-Depth unit off the reef, swapping out the smaller package of sensors we’d co-located with the CTD, taking momentary solace in the fact that the instruments were still intact on the reef. Aside from their huge cost, their memory banks would tell us exactly how warm it had been on the reef in the preceding six months, across the peak of the event. It would have been a crippling loss, scientifically, had they been washed away. We have been swapping in new CTD units at this site since 2014, amassing one the longest, most detailed records of ocean conditions in this region.
The Conductivity-Temperature-Depth sensor after recording ambient 
conditions on the reef from Nov 2015 until April 2016, surrounded by 
dead coral.  Credit:  Kim Cobb.

My mind still reeling from that first dive, I was sure my second dive would be better. We were diving a site that I have visited on every single field expedition I’ve ever conducted, where the largest Porites coral colonies grow. These colonies are decades old, rising 1m or more off the floor of the reef, locking a remarkably accurate history of ocean temperatures in their skeletons. I had drilled one such colony for the TV documentary “Years ofLiving Dangerously”, wielding a huge hydraulic drill in the glare of two underwater cameras.

When I jumped in the water, it was clear my optimism was misplaced. The reef I knew like the back of my hand was unrecognizable. Of the five larger Porites colonies I had tagged and photographed in November – all still alive at that point, if not bleached – four were completely dead, and one was partially dead, hanging on by a thread. I was so overcome with emotion that I shed a few tears into my mask.

I took some time to swim the reef, taking in the destruction. Pocillopora:  all dead. Favia:  all dead. Montipora:  all dead.  In fact, the only things that seemed to be alive and well were, once again, smaller colonies of Porites averaging well under 1ft in diameter. Every good story needs a hero, and these corals were just that. It was as if nobody had told them that a record-breaking El Nino was still underway. My eyes were repeatedly drawn to these small pockets of color on the reef, while my science brain kicked into overdrive planning new science around these stalwart survivors. I would go on to tag and photograph these individuals, and collect small tissues samples that Danielle Claar, from the Baum lab, will sequence in the hopes of uncovering the secret to their unlikely survival.

When we return to the reef later this year, I will take small drill cores from these survivors, in order to document the story of this El Niño event from the perspective of the corals by analyzing the geochemical variations in their newly-laid skeletons. Such samples will allow me to make an apples-to-apples comparison to coral records of past mega-El Niño events, like the 1997/98 event, and to mega-El Niño events of the past centuries to millennia. And by comparing recent El Nino activity in the coral record against a long baseline of natural variability in older coral records, we hope to understand if and how climate change is affecting extremes in the El Niño-Southern Oscillation. Our preliminary results, published before the onset of this winter’s record-breaking event, suggest that El Nino events have become stronger as a result of anthropogenic climate change (see article here).

I hope that the reefs at Christmas Island have the time they need to recover before the next big El Niño hits. It will take ten years or more for the reef to crawl back to even a shadow of its former self. Over this period, we will document its recovery in detail, as an opportunity to learn more about life after death for a reef crippled by temperature stress.

26 comments:

  1. The research is very effective and much more for important for collecting reviews about making research. The top thesis writing help for creating documents and programs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll right away snatch your rss as I can not in finding your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you've any? Please allow me recognise in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.
    buy facebook likes

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes its worthy ,nowdays getting traffic is simple by this kind of ideas.check this: socialmedia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I never knew that the el nino would have such an adverse effect on the coral reef. Writing a Business School Admission Essay. Climatic conditions plus human activity are slowly destroying the coral reef but human activity has the greatest effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very passionate about climate change issues and am always researching on new ways of how we can be able to mitigate the impacts brought about by climate change. Sorry for the ordeal that you and the students encountered. Genuine Copy Editing Services are available for good content.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure that it must have been a very impressive and interesting tour in central equatorial Pacific. Thanks for sharing. Dissertation Literature Review Help

    ReplyDelete

  7. Get unlimited cheat codes for moviestarplanet just join now and get free star coins ...hurry up

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW. This is a great expedition. I cannot even imagine that I was not there. Natural expeditions are very interesting. Can I formulate a topic on Thesis Topic in Behavioral Sciences and try to get in to deeper knowledge of this expedition? I am just thinking aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very glad to learn a lot from you this meaningful knowledge. From an article describing your unique way , we can see that you are an approachable , humorous person. Not only that, your article is rich with a lot of useful knowledge and helpful information.
    Phd Dissertation Writing Services

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do find this post to be familiar with another one that i had visited, its very interesting and have the best kind of information. Its quite a fascinating page which has been written in a very professional manner. Kindly keep on posting such great and interesting information.
    Freelancers, Experts & Service Providers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you searching for ways to accrue worldwide recognition shortly? You merely will need to Buy Facebook Followers to get well-known online. facebook followers service

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello everyone, my name is kate Johnson. I was able to hack my husband's phone remotely and gained access to all his texts and calls with the help of ghosthacker2351@gmail.com, he is reliable and really fast.i use him whenever i want to be sure of someone.if you require his services tell him i referred you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Nice posts....Great looks.
    Visit : araaha nagpur
    .For the latest fashions and trends"

    ReplyDelete
  16. No longer delaying to get famed currently. Buy Facebook Followers as a way to acquire status and acceptance on the internet in a short duration. where to buy facebook followers

    ReplyDelete

  17. Do you need personal loan? Does your firm,company or industry need financial assistance? Do you need finance to start your business? Do you need finance to expand your business? We give out loan to interested individuals who are seeking loan with good faith. Are you seriously in need of an urgent loan contact us at Email: flourishloancredite@gmail.com
    APPLICATION DETAILS
    Your Full Details:
    Full Name:
    Loan Amount Need:
    Loan Duration:
    Phone Number:
    Applied before?
    State:
    Monthly Income:
    Country:
    You are to send this to our Company Email;flourishloancredite@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us creditloan11@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post reflects the potential of the writer and the depth of his creative skill. It was a well written blog and it shares valuable information with the people who have gone through it. Essay writing service reviews

    ReplyDelete
  20. My name is powell williams

    I am a business loan lenders give loans to people who
    they need the confidence that you can repay the loan and give credit to the
    Loans rental,
    car loans,
    business loans,
    Mortgage,
    Educational loans
    construction loans,
    commercial mortgage,

    Please e-mail: powellwilliamsloanhelp@gmail.com

    I do not know if you need a loan, if you are interested
    Loans can come back to me now Okay

    ReplyDelete

  21. Hello everyone my name is Luana Rodrigues, am here to testify how i was scammed by various loan lender from this site.I was in need of a loan and i applied from various loan lenders from this very site. They asked me to pay some amount of money at different basis but i never get my loan. This was how i lost the sum of 5000USD . I was now in debt because i borrowed the money from a friend.One day a friend of mine introduce me to Detlev jonas Loan. He told me how he has helped him with loan at several cases without any delay. I was scared and never believe her. She urge me to trust her,this was how i was introduce to him through his email {hmloans2@gmail.com}. She told me She will offer me the loan that i only need to comply with them. I did as She told me and without any delay,i received my loan as She earlier promise. Am here to tell you that most of the loan lenders in this site are scammers. If you truly need a genuine loan please meet Detlev Jonas loan through his email hmloans2@gmail.com . He is a registered reliable loan lender.

    Name Of testifer: Luana Rodrigues
    Email Of Lender: hmloans2@gmail.com
    Lenders Name : Falicity Shaw

    ReplyDelete
  22. My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete


  23. I am Joan Felch, a private money lender. I give out loans with an interest rate of 2% per annual and within the amount of $1000.00 to $500,000,000.00 as the loan offer. 100% Project Funding with secured and unsecured loans are available. We are guaranteed in giving out financial services to our numerous clients all over the world. With our flexible lending packages, loans can be processed and funds transferred to the borrower within the shortest time possible. We operate under clear and understandable terms and we offer loans of all kinds to interested clients, firms, companies, and all kinds of business organizations, private individuals and real estate investors. Just complete the form below and get back to us as we expect your swift and immediate response. EMAIL:(joanfelchloanhome@gmail.com or jfloanlendingcompany@yahoo.com)

    Attention!!!

    Do you have a bad credit?
    Do you need money to pay bills?
    Do you need to start up a new business?
    Do you have unfinished project at hand due to bad financing?
    Do you need money to invest in some area of specialization which will
    profit you? and you don’t know what to do.a

    We offer the following loans below,
    personal loans[secure and unsecured]
    business loans[secure and unsecured]
    combination loans
    students loans
    consolidation loans and so many others.

    1. Full Names:……………………….
    2. Contact Address:…………………..
    3. Loan Amount Needed:………………..
    4. Duration of the Loan……………….
    5. Direct Telephone Number:……………..
    6. Monthly Income:……………..

    Email (joanfelchloanhome@gmail.com or jfloanlendingcompany@yahoo.com)
    Best Regards,

    Mr Joan Felch.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Greetings to you by ADIA.

    We are a France-Paris based investment company known as Avit
    Development Investment Authority working on expanding its portfolio
    globally and financing projects.

    We would be happy to fund and invest with you in any profitable
    project if you have any viable project we can finance by making mutual
    investment with you. If you are interested, kindly contact us
    on:avitinvestmentauthority2@gmail.com for more details.

    Looking forward hearing from you soonest.

    Yours truly,
    Mrs Rose Williams
    (Personal Assistant)
    Avit Development Investment Authority(ADIA)
    501 Avenue Montaigne,75008 Paris-France
    Paris-France.Avit Development Investment Authority (ADIA)

    ReplyDelete
  25. First, I have a confession to make. I am very bad with managing my time. I have always had loads of stuffs to do, all piled-up until the very last minute.
    essay writing service

    ReplyDelete